Doctoral Colloquium

Important Dates

• Submission deadline: August 5, 2016 extended to August 12, 2016, 17:00 GMT
  • Notification: August 29, 2016
  • Camera-ready: September 12, 2016

Quick Facts

• When: Monday, October 24, 2016 (all day) – the day prior to the start of the main conference program but the same day as workshops and tutorials.  Only those invited to present or review presentations are permitted to attend the doctoral colloquium to encourage interaction and comply with room occupancy constraints.
  • Goals:
    1. To provide Ph.D. students with feedback on their dissertation proposals so the quality of their research is improved.
    2. To provide opportunities for Ph.D. students to network with peers and future peers to share research ideas and facilitate their professional development.
  • Submission template: ACM SIGCHI format (LaTeX templateWord template)
  • Online Submission: EasyChair conference submission system
  • Submission content and format
    • 5 pages including figures, references, and 100 word abstract
    • 1-page biographical sketch, including a paragraph stating what you hope to learn from participating in the DC
  • Submit to/email: andreas.riener(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)thi.de
  • Chair:  Andreas Riener

What is the Doctoral Colloquium?

The Doctoral Colloquium (DC) brings together Ph.D. students working on topics related to the field of automotive user interfaces and interactive vehicular applications, providing them with an opportunity to present and discuss their research with their peers and senior faculty.

Each student will be allocated a 30-minute time slot, with 15 minutes for a presentation and 15 minutes for oral feedback by at least three senior faculty or researchers.  The presentation will be intimate to encourage interaction, with only the session organizer, reviewers, and other student DC presenters in attendance.  Reviewer feedback will cover all aspects of their proposal (the choice of topic, how it is to be examined, etc.). Students are expected to attend all presentations in their sessions, take notes for their peers, and provide those notes to other students in their session.

This year, we will make the 2016 DC a richer experience by (1) connecting Ph.D. students before the conference, (2) using technology during the DC to make sure no suggestions/comments from reviewers are lost, (3) organize on-site networking side events, etc. We contemplating to have students plan their own get-together on Wednesday evening of the conference and students are encouraged to attend.

Eligibility, Submission, and Selection

The AutomotiveUI 2016 doctoral colloquium welcomes contributions from doctoral students currently registered in a PhD program. Ideal candidates should have worked on their dissertation for some months. Thus, they should have chosen a research topic and possibly have also made progress in identifying the relevant theories and their research plan.

Selection of participants will be based on the quality of the submission and its relevance to the conference topics.  This year we will invite not only the best submissions, but also some of the weaker submissions because they need our help the most.

Submissions must be single-author, but the name of the supervisor must be mentioned in the submission.  The conversation language of the colloquium is English and all submissions must be also in English.  To apply to the DC, submit up to 5 pages including figures, references, and a 100-word abstract describing your dissertation proposal using the format of the main conference.
The research proposal should:

• give a crisp introduction to the field/problem domain,
  • present key related work (current status of the problem domain and related solutions,
    applicable norms/standards),
  • clearly formulate the research questions/approaches,
    Hint:  Presenting those questions as who, what, when, where, and why questions is often helpful.
  • point out significance and innovation (expected contributions),
  • describe the research methodology that is planned or has been applied,
  • outline your contribution to  the problem domain and highlight the uniqueness of your approach,
  • pose questions and issues (that you would like the DC to discuss)

In addition, submit a one-page biographical sketch (CV), including a paragraph stating what you hope to get out of participating in the DC.

Please send submissions (research proposal, biographical sketch) as soon as possible but no later than August 12, 2016 to Andreas Riener, Doctoral Colloquium Chair at doctoral(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)auto-ui.org.  If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me any time (at the same email address).  Submissions will be reviewed by the doctoral colloquium program committee.

Travel Grants

We are seeking to provide travel grants to allow more students to take part in the DC. However, at this early time we cannot guarantee we will finally be able to provide funding. Updates will be provided on the AutoUI website.

Doctoral Colloquium Committee

Confirmed are:

• Martin Baumann, Ulm University
  • Gary Burnett, University of Nottingham
  • Lewis Chuang, Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics
  • more to be added soon…

Technical Program Committee

• Linda Boyle, University of Washington
  • Myounghoon Jeon, Michigan Technological University
  • John Krumm, Microsoft Research
  • Andrew Kun, University of New Hampshire
  • Christian Mueller, Germand Research Center for Artificial Intelligence
  • Dale Richards, Coventry University
  • Andreas Riener, University of Applied Sciences Ingolstadt